st: RE: Re: graphics formats

From   "Sayer, Bryan" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: Re: graphics formats
Date   Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:24:14 -0500

PCL printers (HP) will generally print pdf files using Adobe Acrobat Reader
fine.  Sometimes though all the text will run together, in which case one
needs to switch to a PS printer.  Most (if not all) of the newer HP printers
have both PS and PCL (6 and 5e).

Bryan Sayer
Statistician, SSS Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kit Baum []
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 10:58 AM
Subject: st: Re: graphics formats

On Wednesday, Apr 2, 2003, at 02:33 US/Eastern, Lee wrote:

>  Unfortunately,
> however, if you (or you publisher) do not have a PostScript compatible
> printer, EPS/PS can not be printed. PDF is nice and there are lots of
> to PDF converters.
I doubt seriously that  a non-PS printer will be able to do much with
PDFs, since the PDF format can be considered a form of compressed
PostScript. Agree that storing materials in PDF format -- if one
properly embeds the fonts!!! -- is much preferable to sending the same
file around in .ps format, which is much larger than optimized PDFs.