Re: st: RE: Classification analysis / risk tree

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Classification analysis / risk tree
Date   Tue, 01 Apr 2003 06:14:06 -0600

> Does anyone know of a CART-type package for Stata.

CART -- usually I think regarded as an abbreviation of
Classication and Regression Trees, after the monograph
by Breiman, Friedman, Olshen and Stone -- has been requested
several times as an addition to official Stata, including
at the NASUG meeting in Boston on March 17. The Stata
Corp response is in essence "We'll think about it".
Some listers might be interested in the commercial package called "CART" and sold by Salford Systems at a reasonable cost. It has been the major CART package for almost 2 decades. Recently, CART has been seen as a "data mining" tool by Salford systems. This has led to increases in prices to levels in excess of thousands of dollars for new purchases as well as to timed licenses. The next most convenient approach to CART is through S-plus.

Fred Wolfe

Fred Wolfe Tel (316) 263-2125
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases Fax (316) 263-0761
Wichita, Kansas [email protected]

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/