st: RE: RE: RE: l. on st. (language on statalist)

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: l. on st. (language on statalist)
Date   Tue, 1 Apr 2003 10:26:42 +0100

Nick Cox
> et al. can mean (and usually does mean) either
> et alii = and other men and et aliae = and other women.
> et alia = and other things, appropriate if all your
> co-authors are inanimate, as mine usually are before
> the second coffee of the day. (The expression "inter alia"
> may be in mind here.)
> Fortunately, the abbreviation is exactly the same.
> I once asked someone with a deeper knowledge of Latin
> than I have what the correct Latin response would be
> if there were a mix of male and female co-authors.
> I recollect the answer as that one male is sufficient
> to turn the whole set male...

On second thoughts, that's probably a
mistranslation. For example, "et alii" is better
translated as "and others (who are male)". So suppose
a female wrote an article in the Stata
Journal with male coauthors. A subsequent
reference to <female_author_name> et
al. would be an abbreviation of et alii.

Just as well that we have the abbreviation
so that we need not work this out each