st: RE: RE: RE: l. on st. (language on statalist)

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: l. on st. (language on statalist)
Date   Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:53:55 +0100

Lee Sieswerda

> Its time to start lobbying our school boards to reinstate Latin and
Greek and
> proper English usage into the school curriculum! Many will stand in
our
> way, but damn the torpedoes (really, tethered mines), back to
Fowler's
> poetical 1908 King's English, I say!

The authors of "The King's English" (understand that at the time
the sovereign of Britain was Edward VII) presumably explain somewhere
the difference between "It's" (contraction of "it is") and "Its"
(possessive).

> Not that such things would ever appear on Statalist, except in jest.

There is no rule on Statalist on which languages may be used by
posters. Although English is the most widely used language in
statistical science, there have been postings in, and incidental
use of, many other languages, including American.