Re: st: desgin effects, weights, and cox proportional hazard models

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <>
Subject   Re: st: desgin effects, weights, and cox proportional hazard models
Date   Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:55:55 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:16:46 -0500 Robert Bozick <>

... snip ...
> I do have exact dates of degree completion (month/year). I had wanted
to use hazard models because of the right censoring issue in the data:
a large proportion of the sample had not completed a degree before the
time of the interview.  I guess that leaves me in a bind:  If I use the
logit model, I can obtain the 'proper' standard errors, but not correct
for the censoring.  If I use the hazard model, I can correct for the
right censoring problem, but not have the proper standard errors. >
> Am I looking at this correctly?  Any other thoughts? >

1. You can handle the right-censoring correctly in discrete-time
models, as long as you have reorganised your data in a specific way
beforehand and created a "new" censoring variable.  It's very easy to
See the -discrete- Manual entry that I cited yesterday, the Allison
book cited in an earlier message, or indeed lecture notes and materials
They explain how to set things up, and explain why they produce the
correct likelihood.
2. My comment yesterday was therefore more about exploiting the "svy"
aspect of -svylogit- (rather than the standard -logit-)

Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <>
Institute for Social and Economic Research (ISER)
University of Essex, Colchester, CO4 3SQ, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1206 873374. Fax: +44 (0)1206 873151.