Re: st: repeated measurements. How to use Stata instead of MlwiN?

From   Chris Rohlfs <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: repeated measurements. How to use Stata instead of MlwiN?
Date   Sun, 30 Mar 2003 15:41:24 -0600 (CST)

dear jose,

i believe the answer is yes to both of those questions, though i'm not
familiar w/ gllamm or hierarchical models.  i'm not quite sure i
understand the question, but i think in a case like you described i'd just
use -xtreg-

with the re (random effects) option if you just want to correct for the
autocorrelation & degrees of freedom issue associated w/ using repeated
measurements

with the fe (fixed effects) option if you want to control for omitted
child-specific characteristics that might be correlated with the
treatment.  -- if you're running a randomized experiment, then this
shouldn't be necessary.

with the be (between estimator) option if you have noisy data and you want
to reduce the measurement error by comparing child-specific averages for
all your variables.

chris