Re: st: Treatreg with two regression equations?

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], Jennifer Alix <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Treatreg with two regression equations?
Date   Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:03:39 +0000 (GMT)

Jennifer,

Quoting Jennifer Alix <[email protected]>:

> Thanks for your speedy response Mark.  I've tried the switchr, and
> it has
> been useful in confirming that I need different variables in my two
>
> component regressions.  I cringe at the idea of programming this
> myself,
> but it looks like I'm going to have to commit to those inevitable
> hours of
> frustration in front of my computer.
>
> Sadly,
> Jennifer

Two quick thoughts that might save you a little time.

First, if you're at the exploratory stage, depending on the specification
it might be enough for your purposes to use the full set of regressors in
both of the two regime equations.  Say that regime one has regressor x1 and
regime two has regressor x2.  Under the null, x2 doesn't belong in regime
one and hence should be insignificant, and visa-versa with regime two and
x1.  Including x1 and x2 in both regime one and regime two may still yield
consistent estimates of the coefficients that you care about (x1 in regime
one and x2 in regime two).

Second, and a bit obvious but worth pointing out anyway - you might find it
easier to modify Fred Zimmerman's -switchr- code than to program your own
version from scratch.

Cheers,
Mark