st: RE: sample weights of 2 related surveys

From   "Sayer, Bryan" <[email protected]>
To   "'Marina Fe B. Durano '" <[email protected]>, "'[email protected] '" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: sample weights of 2 related surveys
Date   Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:39:26 -0500

Sampling weights are generally designed to reflect the composition of a
specific population.  If those two (or more) populations are mutually
exclusive but combined represent some useful population then you just need
to concatenate the two datasets, being mindful that the scale of the weights
remains the same.

But if the populations overlap, then you would need to rescale the weights
of the overlap portion, preferably along the same categories that the
original weights were created.

But this specific instance sounds like they are not designed to be analyzed
together.  Otherwise, I think they would already be joined.  Possibly the
two sets of questions are very different.  In which case you simply analyze
them seperatly.

Bryan Sayer
Statistician, SSS Inc.