st: RE: RE: eliminating the nth digit of a numeric variable

From   "Sayer, Bryan" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: eliminating the nth digit of a numeric variable
Date   Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:48:50 -0500

Or find the maximum value of the numeric variable (so that you know the
number of characters), generate a string version, remove the zero, and
convert back to a numeric.  Say the maximum is 9999999 (seven digits).  I
don't do this enough in Stata to know the exact commands, but in SAS I would
do:

newnumvar =
input(substr(put(oldnumvar,z7.0),1,4)||substr(put(oldnumvar,z7.0),6,2),f6.0)

Which is putting the old numeric variable zero filled to the left in a
string format of length 7, concatenating the first 4 characters with the
last two, and then inputting the concatenated version into a new numeric
variable.  As Nick says, this REQUIRES that the unwanted zero appears in the
third from the right position.

I'm sure the equivalent is possible in Stata, I just don't know how to put a
numeric into a string with zero fill.

Bryan Sayer
Statistician, SSS Inc.
[email protected]