st: RE: COMPDTA

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: COMPDTA
Date   Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:27:34 -0000

Monica Polo

> I am trying to compare two large dataset with COMPDTA and
> the message
> "invalid syntax" comes up (r(110);).
>
> After setting the trace on, it was found that it is related
> to  _rc and
> seems to have a problem with  the sollowing syntax: "
> capture rename ``i''
> `xname'  ".
>
> Does anybody have any experience with this command or has
> any suggestions
> or hints?

This is a program from 1995. The author is no longer
active in the Stata community.

There is a problem here with whatever is within the macros.

My guess is what you are seeing is a side-effect of
-compdta-'s assumption that variable names have no
more than 8 characters, which was true of Stata when
the program was written. Perhaps you have variables
with names identical in the first 8 characters and
-compdta- can't cope with this.

Copy the program to another file with a slightly
different name.

Tweak the 8 to 32 a few lines ahead of the statement
in question and see if the problem goes away.

Others may have a comment on whether there are better
ways to do what you want to do given more precise
information on that.