RE: st: RE: list in stata8

From   "Nick Winter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: list in stata8
Date   Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:47:46 -0500

Allow me to second Buzz's very articulate comments regarding upgrade
woes.

Also, let us remember that the ultimate bottom line, regarding the
example of changes to -list-, is that you can, in fact, get back the
default behavior from version 7.  Unlike some (most?) other software,
Stata goes to great lengths to include options and version control to
allow people to control the look and feel of their work; and to
reproduce old-style results.  So really the complaint is about the
inconvenience of creating a personal wrapper program, called -ll-, to
include one's preference for -nocompress- and -clean-.  And the
inconvenience of learning to type "ll" rathter than "l".

The pain would be much worse, I imagine, if the new list was the new
list, with no option to specify options to get back the old behavior.

--Nick Winter