RE: st: RE: list in stata8

From   "Chris Wallace" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: list in stata8
Date   Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:59:08 +0000

>>> 25/02/03 14:47:40 >>>
But I am still puzzled -- and this is
curiosity, not criticism in disguise.

So, what are these long (or wide) -list-s being used
for? (I repeat: curiosity, not criticism.)

I often use stata in a console (on unix systems).  -edit- is not possible there.  I use -list- if I forget the coding (eg, for some binary variable, is it 1/0 or 2/1?).  -sum- could be used in this case, but, being lazy, I type -l- and quit after one screenful.  I too would prefer no lines by default.

My other gripe would be about -list- with too many variables to fit on a single line.  Why must the header be repeated each time by default?  Am I the only one to find -list, clean- easier in this respect too?

In short: I liked the old list because at 2 keystrokes I could see a quick and dirty screenful of data.  Now, to get the same, I need to -l, clean-.  It's just laziness, though.