RE: st: RE: list in stata8

From   "Nick Winter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: list in stata8
Date   Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:14:42 -0500

I just tried this out, and the delay before the list begins seems to be
related to the number of observations to be listed.  Thus,

	. list in 50000/50010

takes 0.01 seconds in my test database, whereas

	. list

takes over 4 seconds to begin.

The following takes about 0.17 seconds:

	. list if inrange(_n,20000,20035)

campared with:

	. generage rand=uniform()
	. list if rand>.9999

which takes about 0.18 seconds to list in my sample dataset, and
produces 35 observations.  So there appears to be no penalty (beyond
that associated with -if-) for non-contiguous observations...the delay
in listing is purely a function of the number of observations to be
listed.  This makes sense, given the cause of the delay, as explained
earlier on this thread.

Nick Winter