st: re: list in Stata 8

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: list in Stata 8
Date   Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:14:13 -0600

I kind of like the separator lines in lists, especially that you can sort by a group and have the lines respect the group divisions. I understand some of the complaints about slowness in v.8 graphics and dialogs, and hope the slightly premature release of v.8 in this regard is not discoloring perceptions of other Stata features. But maybe no lines is the proper default. I have an email in to a couple of visual perception psychologists regarding the separator lines. I've asked if they help or hinder visual search, if any one has done a study on speed of searching in a list with and without. In general, any grouping feature that respects meaningful chunks aids visual processing. Arbitrary lines might be another story. Lines are not present in phone books for instance, though probably to save trees. I'll report back.

-Dave

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/