st: RE: RE: list in stata8

From   "FEIVESON, ALAN H. (AL) (JSC-SD) (NASA)" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: list in stata8
Date   Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:36:36 -0600

The lines should be the least of our concerns. It is the slowness that
disturbs me. Until a version of Stata 8 comes out that is at least as fast
as Stata 7 for such elementary commands, I am not signing up to this (i.e.
Stata 8).

Al Feiveson

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Cox []
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 10:00 AM
Subject: st: RE: list in stata8

Edwin Leuven
> I don't know whether I am the only one, but I am irritated
> by the new list
> command.
> I often type "l" to inspect my data. This is now annoyingly slow.
> Moreover, I think that the default behavior should be the
> old ", clean" one:
> Who wants lines every 5 observations? I definitely don't!
> (the same for
> summarize btw).
> Who asked for these lines? They are not a logical
> separation of the data. It
> reminds me a bit of microsoft trying to come up with things
> people need, like
> the paperclip.
> Anyway, this is a cryout to the stata people:
> Give me my old "list" back: fast and clean!

I am not signing up to this, as I like the new -list-.

Irrespective of that, something that can be done is wire
the behaviour you want into your own wrapper. This provides
an illustration, and can be extended:

program mylist
	version 8
	syntax [varlist] [if] [in] [, clean * ]
	list `varlist' `if' `in', clean `options'