st: Re: Bivariate probit with sample selection

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Bivariate probit with sample selection
Date   Thu, 20 Feb 2003 19:14:55 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bo Wandschneider" <[email protected]>
To: "stata" <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 10:02 AM
Subject: st: Bivariate probit with sample selection

> We are new to Stata and are still learning our way around this package -
> different philosophy than things like SAS, TSP, Shazam or Limdep.  We
> have a user who wants to duplicate some results they had in Limdep.
>
> In limdep we simply ran the individual probits, stored the betas and
> used these as starting values in the bivariate probit.  After this
> equation we entered the Select command for sample selection.   We can
> get to the bivariate probit (without the starting values), but are
> unsure how to program the next step.   We have checked manuals, but
> don't have the 'SVY' manual (we are ordering it)
>
> Any suggestions were to look ... just need a starting point -

How about using -heckprob- for the probit with sample selection and then
using -suest- to combine the equations.  Something like this:

webuse school
heckprob private years logptax, sel(vote = years loginc logptax) score(s1*)
estimates store eq1
heckprob school years logptax, sel(vote = years loginc logptax) score(s2*)
estimates store eq2
suest eq1 eq2

I hope this helps,
Scott