st: dep. var. with zeros and fixed effect (or cluster) estimation [trim. least squares?]

From   Matias Barenstein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: dep. var. with zeros and fixed effect (or cluster) estimation [trim. least squares?]
Date   Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:16:31 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone,

I am writing because I was wondering what procedure I
could use in STATA or other statistical software to
analyze a dependent variable that has many zeros, if
at the same time I want to use fixed effects or
clustering in the regression equation (because it is a
very short [i.e. 2-period] panel).  The fixed effects
or clustering does not allow one to use Tobit.  I saw
a reference somewhere to symmetrically trimmed least
squares for this situation.  Any ideas how I could do
his or an alternative estimation for this problem?

Thank you for your help,
matt