[no subject]

From   Thomas Heckelei <>
Date   Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:28:16 -0800

I'm a stata beginner and have a recoding problem.

Cross sectional units in my panel data set are currently identified by names (string variables). I want to make an integer variable out of it such that it has a new (ascending) value for each new unit. All the standard routines to "destring" and recode that I could find looking at the help file would require me to type all the names (>400) at least once.

It might be important to know that the number of time observations differ between units (unbalanced).

Is there any possibility to do this within state or do I better go back to excel or gauss for that?

Thanks for your help, Thomas

Thomas Heckelei PhD
Assistant Professor, IMPACT Center and
Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
Washington State University

123C Hulbert Hall
PO Box 646214, Pullman WA 99164-6214
Fax: 509-335-3958