st: Re: student Stata

From   baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: student Stata
Date   Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:28:05 -0500

--On Thursday, February 13, 2003 2:33 -0500 Al wrote:

student can get a copy of Stata for a class, and use it happily for as
long as the hardware & OS keep supporting it (one really big reason to
have students learn stats with Stata).
Not any longer, if the student takes advantage of the great prices of the Stata GradPlan. The prices for 8 have come _down_ from 7, but they now are 1-year licenses. A student does have the option (at about a 45% premium) of buying the perpetual license. As an economist (and a GradPlan coordinator) I have no problem recommending the one-year license to students (although I would, in the interests of full disclosure, like to know what the annual renewal fee will be. But those details can be discussed with StataCorp off-list. Even with the new pricing strategy, the fact that you can get _all_ of Stata's functionality (and access to all of Nick Cox' exclusive Stata 8 creations!) for the low price on offer is a tremendous deal vis-a-vis other vendors' offerings.

Kit
Christopher F Baum, Boston College Economics, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA
[email protected] http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec/baum.php
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/