Re: st: Dropping the largest and smallest 1% of observations

From   Ronan Conroy <>
To   "statalist" <>
Subject   Re: st: Dropping the largest and smallest 1% of observations
Date   Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:42:57 +0000

on 13/02/2003 7:37 am, FUKUGAWA, Nobuya at

> I want to cut off extraordinarily large and small values from variables
> used in regression analysis.
> What is the easiest way to drop the largest and smallest 1% of observations
> from variables in STATA-7?

These values are potentially very informative. You can try other approaches
such as
- median regression
- intreg
- robust regression

Very large and very small values can indicate problems with measurement.
-intreg- can be used to specify that these values are not known precisely
but are bigger/smaller than some threshold.
Robust regression is useful to confirm that substantive conclusions from
your analysis are not being 'driven' by influential observations.

I hate discarding data. These strange values are trying to tell us
something. We ignore them at our peril. I am analysing some microbiology
data at the moment. There is a tradition of discarding any measurements
where there were so many bugs that the plate was unreadable. You can imagine
the havoc that this has played with results!

Ronan M Conroy (
Lecturer in Biostatistics
Royal College of Surgeons
Dublin 2, Ireland