Re: st: double-byte characters

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: double-byte characters
Date   Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:25:03 +0900

Shige Song posted:

> Dear All,

> I try to have Stata produce a latex file that has double-byte characters
> (Chinese) in using "outtable" command without luck, it shows up as a bunch
> of "???". I would like to know whether it is possible to do that and, if
> yes, how? Thanks!

Alas, I don't have an answer, but I would like to second the request and extend it:  if
anyone has any suggestions as to how to allow Stata to work with datasets that contain
text in unicode/UTF-8/UTF-7, then I would appreciate hearing about it.

With a compatible operating system and a suitable set of fonts, it seems that it ought to
be possible to work something out using -file-, which -outtable- calls.  But the method, if
there is one, eludes me.

I'm guessing that this kind of enhancement to Stata is on the long-term development
project list, but if there's some workaround available in the meantime . . .

Joseph Coveney