st: RE: user written ado file

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: user written ado file
Date   Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:55:19 -0500

Kompal Sinha [mailto:[email protected]],

> I have written my own ado file in notepad, saved it as
> alpha.ado in C:\ado
> folder as well as stata folder. when I am trying to type the
> alpha command
> its giving the error "unrecognized command: alpha". Whats wrong here??

Do not store any files in "C:\ado" unless you have specifically set this
directory in your ado path.  Move your file to the "C:\ado\personal"
directory if there is one.  In other words, make sure your .ado file resides
in one of the directories that lie on your ado path.  To view your ado path,
type

. ma dir S_ADO
S_ADO:
PERSONAL;UPDATES;BASE;SITE;.;STBPLUS;P:\ado\userwrit;P:\ado\tslib;P:\ado\z_a
bbrev;OLDPLACE

and the specific path to most of these directories is given by

. sysdir
   STATA:  C:\Stata\
 UPDATES:  C:\Stata\ado\updates\
    BASE:  C:\Stata\ado\base\
    SITE:  S:\ias\computing\software\stata\ado\site\
 STBPLUS:  P:\ado\stbplus\
PERSONAL:  P:\ado\personal\
OLDPLACE:  P:\ado\z_oldado\

Then type

	which <your_command_name_here>

to see if Stata can locate your program.  If it can't, an error message will
be returned.

Patrick Joly