st: RE: Saving data in compressed format? - wishlist...

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Saving data in compressed format? - wishlist...
Date   Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:04:30 -0000

Cruces,GA

> As you might have noticed, "zipping" a .dta file often results in
> compressed files that are less than one tenth of the
> original file size.
> I couldn't find any documentation on a compressed stata
> file format - if
> there is, please let me know and ignore the rest of this message.

I believe that no such compressed Stata data format exists.
A sufficient reason for that is Stata's principle of working
seamlessly
across platforms and not being _dependent_ on the existence
of other software.

Is there any compression/decompression
utility that is (a) not proprietary and (b) not shareware
and (c) guaranteed to be present on all platforms on which Stata is
supported?

.zip as a particular format appears very common on Windows
platforms, but I believe can be less much common on Macs and on
Unixes. That of course is no reason not to develop something
for users of .zip files.