st: RE: graph mean and sd over/by category

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: graph mean and sd over/by category
Date   Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:23:31 -0000

george hoffman

> two questions for stata8-
>
> 1. is there a command to graph mean (as dot or bar) and +/-
> error bars (sd,
> se, ci, whatever) of a variable over/by categorical
> variable? in stata5-6, i
> used joanne garrett's predxcat with my own modifications.
> i've spent hours
> with the manuals, online help, menus, decomposing ado
> files, but can't find
> a straightforward way to do it. an ado-approach would be to
> 'oneway y x',
> capture the coeffecients and sd's, and graph them somehow -
> but should i
> have to program to get mean+/-sd graphically?  I would
> think this would
> still be a highly desired common graphics option. what am i missing?

I have a -ciplot- sitting on my machine. No help file yet.
I will issue ASAP.

It shows means +/- ci as calculated by -ci-.