st: loop

From   "Jun Xu" <>
Subject   st: loop
Date   Fri, 07 Feb 2003 21:31:22 -0600

Dear all listers:

puzzled by a problem when writing an ado file. Suppose I have
var1 var2 var3 var4 var5......vark, and I want to do the following loop:
var1 var2
var1 var3
var1 var4
var1 vark
var2 var3
var2 var4
var(k-1) vark
var1 var2 var3
var1 var2 var4
var1 var2 var5
var1 var2 var3....vark
Basically, what I want to do is like step wise exhausting all combinations in a systematic way from univariate, bivariate, trivariate, to multivariate....Or, I can say for every variable in the variable list, there is indicator variable associated with it. I either take this variable in or out in each run. And there should be 2^k possibilities. I have no idea how to handle that. COuld anyone give me some hint? Many thanks in advance.

Jun Xu
Department of Sociology
Indiana University at Bloomington

* For searches and help try: