RE: st: RE: Percentiles: Identify of smallest observation closet to percentile value

From   "Ronnie Babigumira" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Percentiles: Identify of smallest observation closet to percentile value
Date   Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:13:38 +0100

Hi
There is a possibility that I have missed your point, however, when u say
you want stata to tell you what observation is at75th percentile here is
what comes to mind. Say you wanna do it for your variable "var"

sum var, d              /*This will give you the percentiles*/
local p75 = r(p75)      /*Put the value of var at the 75th percentile in a
local macro*/

list obs var if var == `p75'

I would be interested in knowing how to get a new macro _n-1 where _n is the
observation (or id) number for 75th percentile value

Ronnie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Rod Hunter
Sent: 3. februar 2003 11:42
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: Percentiles: Identify of smallest observation
closet to percentile value

Thanks for responding Nick.

A simple eg. will suffice.

Obs. Var1
1     	10
2	9
3	8
4	7

I would like Stata to tell me the value of the observation that is at or
  below the 75th percentile point, and to yield the identity (or
identities) of the observation(s).

Rod Hunter