st: RE: spatial statistic question

From   Daniel M�ller <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: spatial statistic question
Date   Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:29:54 +0100

> I am a PhD student at the UTSPH working on my dissertation.
> I have a case-control data of birth defect.  I am using
> MapInfo to plot my cases and controls.  I would to know the
> best method that I could use in order to calculate the hazard
> waste sites around the cases and controls.

. findit distance

yields, among others, various packages to calculate distances.

But couldn't you do that easier in MapInfo (or ArcGIS, ArcView, ArcInfo,...)
as well as other spatial data preparation? Results can be converted to
grids, exported as ASCII-files and -infile-d into Stata. Every grid would
equal one variable and every grid cell equal one obs in Stata starting with
a variable cellcode=1 in the top-left corner of your map, moving from left
to right, and up-down (standard export format of at least ASCII grids
exported from ESRI programs.

Combining the grids based on 'cellcode' would yield a data set suitable for
analysis within Stata. X and Y coordinates could be added by -egen, seq() [,
from(#) to(#) block(#)]-.

Daniel