Re: st: Queries on graph 8

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Queries on graph 8
Date   Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:07:34 -0600

Thank you!

At 11:45 AM 1/28/2003 -0600, you wrote:
I thought the following email would be useful to all.

Last night yet, I saved a graph as an .eps file using the pull-down menus. I then inserted it into Word (OS X, Service Release 1 version). I had actually tried this before, but could never see the graph in Word (it's clearly there but I can't see it in normal view or in print preview). This time, however, I went ahead & printed it anyway. What a gorgeous graph I got! Even when I print from Stata directly, the background shading doesn't show up as well. Clearly, I can be very happy with this .eps format but do you have any idea why I can't see the inserted file in Word? I realize that this is in all likelihood a Word
Quite simply it's because Stata does not save file previews with its EPS files. Most applications that accept EPS files do not try to render the EPS file to the screen but simply show a bounding box in its place if no file preview exists. It's up to the application that saved it to create the file preview and embed it in the EPS file. Regardless of whether a preview exists or not, EPS files are simply passed through to the PostScript printer so they'll always print fine.

We'll add creating previews to our to-do list but it basically involves writing a Windows/Macintosh/Unix bitmap to TIFF converter and saving a TIFF preview in the EPS file... no easy task. Fortunately for Macintosh users, TIFF/GIF/JPEG/PNG exporting capabilities are built into QuickTime and every Mac with OS X has QuickTime so I'll take a quick look into it and see how much work is involved.

-Chinh Nguyen

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

Fred Wolfe Tel (316) 263-2125
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases Fax (316) 263-0761
Wichita, Kansas [email protected]

*