Re: st: RE: On choosing a stats package...

From   "le doc" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: On choosing a stats package...
Date   Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:20:10 +0000

David,

I am a clinical scientist and used Excel (2K), SPSS (v11) and Stata (v7) extensively. Excel to input and clean-up data, SPSS to produce graphs, and for everything else there is only Stata (data and statistical manipulations, and writing macros). In the past I have used Arcus and Statitix. I have no experience at all with either Data Desk or JMP. I am currently waiting to get Stata v8 for the long overdue revamping of Stata graphical outputs so I can ditch SPSS. All I can say is that even in the Stata v7, it beats hands down any of them statistical packages (as far as data and statistical mainpulations). Hope this helps. Can't go wrong with Stata.

BW

From: "Wallace, John" <[email protected]>
To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>
Subject: st: RE: On choosing a stats package...
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:03:27 -0800

Hi David
My use of Stata 7 is very similar to what you're looking for. I used it
heavily for about 4 weeks, did other things for a while, used it heavily for
about 6 weeks, went on holidays, and am presently ramping up my Stata use
once again. Despite that, I've had no problems with the older "7"
interface. I may upgrade at some point, but 7's working fine at the moment.
I can't offer you much in the way of comparisons with other stat packages,
but from the perspective of a non-mathematician, making scientific
presentations, developing theories from data, and using the older interface,
I'm very happy with Stata.

Good luck

John Wallace
Research Associate