Re: st: kdensity

From   [email protected] (Jeff Pitblado, Stata Corp.)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: kdensity
Date   Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:42:06 -0600

David Airey <[email protected]> ask about -kdensity-:

> I'm a little confused about kdensity and tw kdensity in Stata 8. I
> understand that tw kdensity uses kdensity, but all the same, for some
> reason, kdensity does not use Stata's new graphics, and outputs in gr7
> format. The normal and student options are for kdensity, which leaves
> them in gr7 format too. Is this intended?
>
> Also, for me, kdensity with the student(#) option does not work
> although the normal option does, unless my df is somehow out of range?
>
> . sysuse auto
> (1978 Automobile Data)
>
> . kdensity length
>
> . tw kdensity length
>
> . sum length
>
>      Variable |       Obs        Mean    Std. Dev.       Min        Max
> -------------+--------------------------------------------------------
>        length |        74    187.9324    22.26634        142        233
>
> . kdensity length, normal
>
> . kdensity length, student(74)
> option student() not allowed
> r(198);
>
> (...)

I'll address David's comment/question about -kdensity-.

David's example strongly suggests that something like

	. version 7

was typed interactively in his Stata 8 session.  This can be quickly verified
by typing

	. version

interactively.  The output from entering the -version- command without
arguments is the version (control) that Stata is currently operating under.

--Jeff