st: Re: Graphs in Stata 8

From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Graphs in Stata 8
Date   Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:39:06 -0600

Maurizio Pisati ([email protected]) wrote

> I may have missed something, but it looks like in Stata 8 there is no
> user-transparent graph programming language, as there used to be in Stata 7
> (-gph-). Particularly, I'm interested in drawing filled polygons and
> getting squared charts (i.e., vertical scale==horizontal scale). Are there
> any plans to make such capability available in the near future?

-gph- continues to exist and work under version control:

   version 7
   gph open
   gph ...
   gph close

Stata 8 does have a new low level graph programming command named
-gdi-, but it is not documented or intended for end-users.  In fact,
-gdi- even existed in Stata 7, but was also undocumented there.

On January 17, Vince Wiggins wrote in a posting to Statalist

> Contour plots are on our development list, but we don't have a schedule.
> Surface plots are also on the list, but due to the variety of choices for
> implementation, they have a lower priority.  Higher than both of these on the
> development list is a middle-level graphics language to make it easier for
> graphics programmers to add new graph commands.

I suspect that this middle-level graphics language is what Maurizio will
want to use when it is available.  In the interim, any users such as
Maurizio already comfortable with -gph- programming may continue to
use the -gph- command.  Just ensure that -version 7- precedes any use
of it.

--Alan
([email protected])