Re: st: Problems with barchart linewidth(none) STATA8

From   [email protected] (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Problems with barchart linewidth(none) STATA8
Date   Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:11:01 -0600

David LB Schwappach <[email protected]> asks,

> I use the new graphics engine to produce a barchart and want to
> surpress the bar chart outline. So I use line width: none. However,
> STATA keeps on drawing a thin line between the bars and xaxis. If
> line color is set as none, this line is white. This is unaffected by
> settings in - overall - margins.

I am not 100% sure that I understand David's question, but I think that he
wants to suppress the line that is drawn below the bars (on a horizontal bar
chart) or to the left of the bars (on a vertical bar chart).  This line is
really an axis line and the way to suppress it is to specify Y-variable
options, and in particular the option to to turn the Y-variable axis off.  If
I am right, David's command would be,

    . graph bar ... , yvaroptions(axis(off)) ...

I know this is documented as a "rarely specified" option.  As the first answer
to a statalist graph-option question, that might be a misclassification.

David goes on to ask,

> Also, a second problem, the changes I make to Bar 1 apply also to
> all other bars even if I specified other properties for each bar.

I am not sure what option David is referring to here.  David, if you could
send me privately the specific command you are typing and note the option and
result you are expecting, perhaps I help.  I will report back to the list if
we find anything of general interest.

-- Vince