Re: st: Stata 8 Window Arrangement (Not Good)

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Stata 8 Window Arrangement (Not Good)
Date   Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:32:04 +0900

Friedrich Huebler described difficulties in using the various windows in Stata 8 that result from
the always-on-top behavior of the Review and Variables windows.  Arnold Levinson suggested
making the always-on-top behavior optional.

I just began using Stata 8 (Windows XP, 1024 X 768 pixels, conventional arrangement of the
windows), and I have to concur with both.  I find that the current behavior of the Review and
Variables windows is often an impediment, and I would like to open other windows on top of
them, or at least be able to make various windows (including the Review and Variables)
"active" and therefore on top when I need to access them.

I use the Graphics dialogue boxes most frequently, since I am least familiar with Stata 8's new
graphics.  I find myself having to drag many graphics dialogue boxes rightward every time that I
invoke them in order to get them out in the open from beneath the Review window.  Is there a
way to get them to open in a new default postion over the Review window?  In order to change
their default position, I tried to drag them out and close them with various keys held depressed,
and to Save Windowing Preferences, but when I open Stata, the graphics dialogue boxes open
in their original locations partially underneath the Review window.

Joseph Coveney