Re: st: Stata 8 - ODBC utility

From   [email protected] (Kevin Turner)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata 8 - ODBC utility
Date   Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:57:55 -0600

Daniel Grochulski <[email protected]> and
Michael Blasnik <[email protected]>
reported a problem importing string variables in -odbc-:

> my Stata consistently adds a 127 blank characters pad to any
> downloaded string variable, so i.e. 20 characters string is loaded and
> reported as having 147 characters (str147).

Answer:

This has been fixed and will be in the next exectuable update.
We have sent Daniel and Michael a not-yet certified copy of the update to
solve their problems. Once it is certified we will release an official update
later this week.

The issue arose due to a change in the way string types were stored between
Stata 7 and Stata 8.

Using -compress- will work in removing the padding as long as the string has not
already exceeded the maximum string length for your version of Stata.

Kevin Turner