st: Re: Survey regression with multi-level models

From   Lisa Jahns <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Survey regression with multi-level models
Date   Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:25:31 -0500

I have had so many requests for this code that I am posting it instead of
emailing individually, although i would love to discuss with anyone
interested- please feel free to email me.  I am a nutrition epidemiology
student, and this program was written to obtain estimates of within and
between person variance in 2 days of diet intake.  The dataset consists of 2
obs/individual for all nutrients (energy, protein, etc), along with
demographic variables gender, age, pov, and urban/rural residence.

below find a .do file, and under it an .ado file.

these file run  multiple models, one for each nutrient, and outputs a dataset
of results for each one.    the iweight is the only weight specification
allowed when using the mle estimator, so we took the pweights and adjusted
them.  we used the mle estimator to compare to SAS results, but the re
estimator would work too.  the point estimates were almost identical to SAS
proc mixed.

regards,
lisa jahns

** yourfilename.do **
** this .do is a macro that calls in the .ado file (the xtreg equation) and
bootstraps the results 200 times **

capture log close
set more off
log using your_log_name, replace text

program drop _all

drop _all
set memory 30m

use your_data, clear

run your_xtreg.ado

log close

 #delimit ;
for varlist  kjnrgy energy protein tfat  carbo pct_pro pct_fat pct_cho
calcium iron magnes thiamin ribo niacin vitc:
  set seed 1234567

 \ log using your_variable_ log_X.txt, replace text

 \ bstrap your_xtreg_ado, cluster(svy_strat svy_psu) reps(200) args(X) d
saving(your_variable_ log_X) replace every(1)

\ log close;

#delimit cr
end

** your_xtreg.ado**

capture program drop svy_re
program define svy_re
version 7.0

   if "`1'" =="?" {
               # delimit ;
                global S_1 " gender age pov  urbrur within between rho ymean
ratio";
               #delimit cr
               exit
        }

xtreg `2' gender age pov urbrur [iw=weight], i(id) mle

local gender = _b[gender]
local age = _b[age]
local pov = _b[pov]
local urbrur = _b[urbrur]
local within = e(sigma_e)
local between = e(sigma_u)
local ratio =(e(sigma_e)/e(sigma_u))
local rho = e(rho)

sum `2', meanonly
local ymean = r(mean)

post `1' (`gender')  (`age') (`pov')  (`urbrur') (`within')  (`between')
(`rho') (`ymean') (`ratio')
end