RE: st: RE: Removing variables with no observation from datasets

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Removing variables with no observation from datasets
Date   Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:42:21 -0000

[email protected]

> DHS are the Macro-International databases on Demographic
> and Health Surveys.
> Many variables in these datasets contains missings
> observations and are
> labelled with NA: I mean:
> e.g:
> - v224 "Child receives juice, NA"
> -tab v224
> . no observation
>
> I want to know how to drop these variables.

If a variable label ending in "NA" means that
the variable is of no use, then you
can use -ds3- from SSC to drop such variables.

ds3, has(varl *NA)
drop `r(varlist)'

Alternatively, here is the route from first
principles.

foreach v of var * {
	local label : variable label `v'
	if substr(`"`label'"',-2,2) == "NA" {