st: specific doubt

From   "Rodrigo Brice�o" <[email protected]>
To   "Statalist \(E-mail\)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: specific doubt
Date   Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:48:24 -0600

Hello Stata listers. I'm having a problem related with several databases and
I wish to ask you for specific information required.
I have four databases:
ENIGH-RJB1.dta=19,470 obs.
ENIGH-RJB2.dta=19,120 obs.
ENIGH-RJB3.dta=  7,719 obs.
ENIGH-RJB4.dta=23,715 obs.
First of all, the bases have the same ID variables (in this case could be
household number, member number, home number, primary unit of sample, etc.).
My purpose is to build an unique database with the differents variables that
have each database.
I tried:
use ENIGH-RJB4.dta
joinby using ENIGH-RJB3.dta, but I got a new database with 72,077
observations, that is totally wrong (I assume that the maximum would be
23,715).
I tried too:
use ENIGH-RJB4.dta
merge ENIGH-RJB3.dta I got a large number of missings (from obs, 7720 up).
I know that I 'm doing something wrong but I can't understand what? Can
somebody please provide me some help?
Thank you very much.
Rodrigo