st: variable labels

From   Traci A Schlesinger <[email protected]>
Subject   st: variable labels
Date   Fri, 27 Dec 2002 01:17:30 -0500

hi statalisters:

when using stata for windows, variable labels generally appear next to
the variable names in the variable box.  however, this does not happen
when i use my stata7 package which is on my laptop.  i have been told my
someone at "data and statistical services" here at princeton that this
was a bug in early version of stata7, which could be fixed by updating.
since i did purchase stata7 soon after it came out, this seemed
plausible; however updating did not fix the problem.  perhaps it's not a
bug, but rather there is an option that i don't know about?  in either
case, is there some way for me to fix this?  i am using national
criminal reporting data, and the variable names are simply v1 . . .
v107, but they have descriptive variable labels, which i can see when i
open the data on a university computer with stata, and it would be very
helpful if they were visible.  alternately, is there a command that
would rename my variables there variable labels?

any advise would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
traci a schlesinger