st: PDFs vs hard copies

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: PDFs vs hard copies
Date   Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:59:53 -0600

I really love the printed manuals. I hope they continue to be offered in the present format.

PDF versions would be fine but not if the hard copy option is lost or becomes prohibitively expensive.

I _hate_ when companies only provide PDFs when the manuals are substantive and readable. For some software companies, when the manual is a quick read, PDFs are a great idea to offer in lieu of printed matter.

So I vote against Stata PDFs if it jeopardizes the hard copies or Stata's business interests, but not otherwise.

Stata 8 looks to be much improved! I look forward to upgrading. Nice work Stata folks! [For those features not in Stata 8, we should remember that Stata 8.x is now in the works. I hope ODBC is offered eventually on platforms other than Windows--on OS X a workaround might be Excel 10.1 which offers some ODBC features.]

-Dave

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/