RE: st: PDF Stata 8 manuals

From   Richard Herrell <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: PDF Stata 8 manuals
Date   Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:00:23 -0600 (CST)

I recently got access to the SAS manuals in both .pdf and html format (ALL
of them) at my workplace (NIH), which has a site license.  I access them
by password, although the CD containing the documentation is only about
$200.  I find this a great improvement over the paper edition.  It's much
easier to find what I'm looking for than searching through frequently
incomplete indexes.  I print out chapters as I need them.

Especially since publishing a CD is cheaper and easier than paper books,
it must be an advantage to the software firm as well.  As copyright
violation is also common with print edition chapters ("Hey can I copy the
logistic chapter from your manual for my class?"), limiting access to
print editions is no guarantee for the publisher.  As the years have
filled my shelves with sets of manuals, I also welcome the space-saving of
electronic formats and would welcome Stata v. 8 documentation on CD.

Richard Herrell, PhD
NIMH
NIH
Bethesda, MD