st: bar semi-shadedness - a limitation, or not?

From   Lee Sieswerda <[email protected]>
To   "Statalist (E-mail)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: bar semi-shadedness - a limitation, or not?
Date   Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:47:38 -0500

For as long as I've used Stata, a limitation that I thought insuperable was
the production of a fully shaded bar graph. So, for a long time, I've
produced graphs at the darkest semi-shaded level available (4), and then
opened them in a graphics program where I could replace the shading with
something darker. Alternatively, I'm sad to say, I made my graphs in Excel
after producing the appropriate data in Stata. An irritation, to be sure,
but one I've grown accustomed to. Well, I was quite surprised this morning
when I tried Nick Cox's fabulous program -tabhbar- and discovered that when
I specify the option -shading(4)- I get bars that are actually fully shaded.
After a bit of testing, here is the relationship that I found:

tabhbar, shading(2) = graph, shading(3)
tabhbar, shading(3) = graph, shading(4)
tabhbar, shading(4) = no equivalent using -graph-

So, my question: is it just me, or do others get the same results?

Best regards,
Lee

Lee Sieswerda, Epidemiologist
Thunder Bay District Health Unit