RE: st: RE: Summarising multiple tabulations in one table

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Summarising multiple tabulations in one table
Date   Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:46:25 -0000

Stephen P. Jenkins

> > I guess your main way forward is -reshape- so that
> > the agekst* are all stacked into one variable.
>
> I don't see this -- could you elaborate please? The obs in
> the data set
> are several thousand woman, i.e. unit record data, so what
> I was asking
> about was a combined tabulation&formatting routine. Tabulation to
> derive percentages in each category for each variable is
> straightforward, but the formatting like the SPSS example is the
> problem. (If each variable of interest were binary, I think
> I could
> solve the problem using -table- or -collapse-, but there
> are multiple
> categories per variable here.)  I am not sure my telling
> you that the
> names were agekst* helped -- a neat solution would allow
> any variable
> names across the top of the report table.

Nick Winter has provided some -reshape- code.

My posting was an indirect way of saying that
I couldn't see an easy way of doing this
with this number of variables and official Stata's
existing commands. Nor will the user-written
commands I am aware of help much.

I agree with the point I take to be tacit,
namely, that it would be desirable to be
able to do this in Stata without restructuring.