st: RE: more informative names of dummy vars

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: more informative names of dummy vars
Date   Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:21:56 -0000

A.M. Vos

> I'm using: -xi: poisson patient i.origin- and so on.
> Origin refers to country of origin of the patients and is
> coded 1,2,..10
> and each value is labeled like "Morocco", "Somalia" etc.
> Now, when I perform -poisson- (or any other command using
> -xi-) I get
> estimates for:
> _Iorigin_1, _Iorigin_2 etc. Instead, I would like to get
> something like:
> _Imorocco, _Isomalia etc. or _Iori_moroc, _Iori_somal etc.
> that would
> make the outcomes readable...
> Does anyone know whether it is possible to name the dummies
> depending on
> the labels of the values of the variable they refer to?

-xi- itself offers little scope for customising names.
Rather, the main advice is to change them from what
-xi- produces. You may find -renvars- (a Dutch-Welsh
co-production from STB-60) of help here. And because
all your work on that will be undone next time
you run -xi-, consider using the -prefix()- option
of -xi-.