st: RE: Curve Fit

From   "FEIVESON, ALAN H. (AL) (JSC-SD) (NASA)" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: Curve Fit
Date   Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:50:44 -0600

Marita -

I'm not totally sure what you are asking - but it sounds as if you want to
regress your dependent variable on a pre-defined function. To be specific,
suppose your dependent variable is y and your pre-defined function is
log(x), where x is also a Stata variable. Then you could do the following:

.gen fx=log(x)
.reg y fx

This will find a linear transformation of log x (not x) that best fits your
y-variable in a least-squares sense. In other words, y is predicted by b0
+b1*log(x). Note that this model is linear in the coefficients (b0, b1) even
though log(x) is a nonlinear function of x.

On the other hand if you want to predict y by a model that is nonlinear in
the coefficients, such as b0*exp(-b1*x)+b2, then you have to use nonlinear
least squares (the -nl- command).

Hope this helps -

Al Feiveson