st: "Insufficient disk space" error message running -qreg-

From   Arne Mastekaasa <[email protected]>
To   "'statalist'" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: "Insufficient disk space" error message running -qreg-
Date   Sun, 08 Dec 2002 13:20:36 +0100

Dear Statalisters and Stata people:
My original objective was to estimate a large model (25 explanatory variables) on a data set with 52,000 observations, using the censored median regression program -clad- by Jolliffe et al. Given the size, I was not very surprised that problems could arise in this case, but the problems persisted when I used -qreg- (without bootstrapping) in stead, reduced the model (in several steps) to one explanatory variable, and N to 7,500 (using -if- in the -qreg- command line). The error message typically appears after 8 to 10 iterations. I do not get the error message, however, if I first -drop- all variables except two from the data set, even if I keep all the 52,000 observations.
This raises several questions.
- The basic question is how Stata uses disk space in such cases. First, why do Stata use disk space at all in this case? The full data set and overhead takes 98,000 Kb of memory, leaving 208,000 Kb free.
- I have a c: and a d: disk on the computer. Stata is installed on d: with default data area d:\data. I have 4.7Gb free space on d:, but only 37Mb on c:. Does Stata use c: and not d:? If so, how can I change that?
- Why does the problem seem to depend on the total size of the data set, and not on the number of variables and observations to be used in the analysis?
I'll be very grateful for help on this.

Arne
Arne Mastekaasa
Department of Sociology and Human Geography
University of Oslo
P.O.Box 1096 Blindern
N-0317 Oslo
Norway