st: RE: One question (long)

From   "Wallace, John" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: One question (long)
Date   Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:32:04 -0800

I think you want to use the -joinby- command.  Here's an example I just
tried

Two text files, test1.txt and test2.txt are to be merged using -joinby-

test1.txt content:

Index,Measure
1,300
2,400
3,100
4,200
5,600
10,300
9,400
8,100
7,200
5,600
15,300
12,400
13,100
14,200
16,600

test2.txt content:

Measure,Weight
100,1.1
200,1.2
300,1.3
400,1.4
500,1.5
600,30

Note that Index has many more entries than Weight, which is, I think, the
case with the dataset you're working with.  Also, test2.txt has Measures
that do not exist in test1.txt, and the records are ordered by Measure
value, whereas in test1.txt they are ordered by Index - so the structure of
the data is quite different.  -joinby- doesn't appear to care.

First, convert test2.txt to a stata dataset, so that -joinby- can work with
it:
-insheet using test2.txt-
-save "test2.dta"-

Open the large dataset
-insheet using test1.txt-

Merge the datasets using -joinby-
-joinby using test2.dta-

You'll see your variable list expand from
Measure

Measure
Weight

and when you -browse- the dataset you will see

Index	Measure	Weight
3	100	1.1
8	100	1.1
13	100	1.1