st: string variables

From   "Katsuhide Isa" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: string variables
Date   Thu, 5 Dec 2002 19:24:36 +0900

Hello,

I have a problem with string variables.
While converting CSV data into dta data using Stata
Transfer, several integer variables were accidentally
converted into string ones(as they happen to contain
no response, it might be a cause)
These string variables can't be used with such
commands as -generate-, -rename-, or -forvalues-,
which causes some trouble in the subsequent data
manipulation.
So, my questions are following:

1.Why does this kind of phenomenon occur in Stata
Transfer?
.
2. Is it possible to convert the type of the string
variables without changing the original order of variables?
Creating new variables in the last columns using -real( )-
function could be a second best solution.
But I'd like to, if possible, avoid this method.
I'd like to retain the whole variables(even if some of them
contain no response) for some reason.

Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance.

K.I.