RE: st: ivreg with an interaction

From   "A. Mushfiq Mobarak" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: ivreg with an interaction
Date   Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:58:25 -0700

Prof. Chan:

If M is an instrument for X that doesn't appear in your second stage, I
would suggest using M*Y as an instrument for X*Y.  Note that M*Y is NOT
a linear function of M and Y, which is why this is possible to do.

You would first generate the variables XY and MY and then do this in
ivreg:

ivreg Z (X XY = M MY) Y

All the std. errors would be automatically calculated properly.

If you still want to instrument for X with just M (excluding MY), and
then substitute Xhat*Y for XY in the second stage, you would have to
correct standard errors "manually" (i.e. ivreg wouldn't help you here).
One procedure for doing this is bootstrapping. See the stata manual.

Mushfiq

A. Mushfiq Mobarak
Assistant Professor of Economics
University of Colorado at Boulder