st: Matching strings

From   "Pedro Martins" <>
To   "<"<>
Subject   st: Matching strings
Date   Sat, 23 Nov 2002 20:05:15 +0000

Dear all,

I would like to match a large list of names available in two data sets.
One problem is that the names are not always exactly the same because of
typos. I can also use other characteristics of each observation and do a
   -joinby- but this still provides a large number of possible matches
for each observation. Is there any procedure in Stata for one to match
string variables that may not be exactly equal?

Thank you

Pedro Martins
Department of Economics
University of Warwick