Re: st: strange email

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: strange email
Date   Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:48:16 -0600

A search through our mailserver's logs back to 20 October show that there have
been no mailings to John, so I think it is safe to assume that this was not
"official Stata" mail.  There are several virus circulating the internet that
forge headers (sender's address and the like) and perhaps this is a variant.

All email from Stata Corporation will be sent from the stata.com domain.  As I
mentioned above, there are some emails that forge headers, but looking at the
headers in further detail and following the listings in the "Received:" header
will generally point to the true origin of the message.  This is a simple
check that could be used to help verify the authenticty of a message.

Should anyone on the list receive an email similar to what John is referring,
feel free to forward a copy to me at [email protected] so that it can be
investigated further.  Please be sure to include all email headers.

-Pete

Pete Huckelba
[email protected]

Stata Corporation